Thursday, February 26, 2009
Peach & Cream Cheese Pie
I made this pie quite a while back since I have a can of peaches leftovers from making fruit cocktail. This is a very simple and refereshing pie dish. If you dont have peaches, you can substitute with other fruits too such as canned pineapples or even slices of apples and topped with some raisin and sugar.
As for the crust , there are many variations to choose from, you have oild crust, hot water crust, I use this crust which uses vinegar and an egg and sugar, if you are making savoury pie you might want to less the sugar and add in some salt too.
• 1/2 cup butter
• 1/3 cup white sugar
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 2 tablespoon iced water
• 1 egg yolk
• 3/4 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
• 250g package cream cheese
• 1 egg
• 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
• 1/4 cup white sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 (28 ounce) can peach slices, drained
• almond strips
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
2. To make the crust, mix butter, sugar &flour until well blended.Add ice water , vinegar and egg yolk.Press into the bottom of a 10-inch pie plate. ( you can also refrigate for abt 20 minutes and rool it out into the pie pan, for a more crusties crust)
3. Bake the crust in preheated oven for 5 minutes. Remove and allow to cool.
4. Meanwhile, beat the cream cheese, egg, almond extract, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract in a bowl until smooth. Gently fold the peach slices into the cream cheese mixture. Spread the filling over the cooled crust. Sprinkle the almond strips over the top.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) and continue to cook for 20 to 25 minutes more.